Saturday, January 31, 2009

Finding My Favorite Girl Scout Cookies


It is Girl Scout Cookie season, and one of my colleagues brought in the order form for cookies. Of course, I decide to buy some as a gesture of goodwill. I was incredibly eager to get some more "Thanks-A-Lot" cookies, as well as my annual supply of Caramel deLites.

A glance at the order form revealed the following: no "Thanks-A-Lot" cookies, and my Caramel deLites were called Samoas. I hadn't heard Caramel deLites called Samoas since the '70's. I was under the impression that the Samoan community had gotten offended somehow, and so the Girl Scouts changed their name.

Something about all of this conflicting information bothered me. If the Girl Scouts of America are a national organization, wouldn't the cookies that they sold be the same in all 50 states?

I Googled "girl scout cookies" in the attempt to solve this information emergency. Not only did I learn about the history of Girl Scout Cookies, but I also found out that Girl Scout Cookies are only allowed to be baked by two licensed baking companies--ABC/Interbake Company (the company that makes my "Thank You" cookies) and Little Brownie Bakers (who still call Carmel Delites Samoas). This means that next year, I will have to order my Girl Scout Cookies from a troop selling cookies from ABC/Interbake (as each individual troop has the freedom to choose their Girl Scout Cookie baker).

2 comments:

  1. This is very interesting. My daughter is selling Girl Scout cookies right now as well. On our order form we do have Thanks-A-Lot cookies and the Caramel deLites are called Carmel deLites. I never knew that there were different order forms and that each troop had the choice to choose their baker. Thank you so much for this information, I really found it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lanisha,

    I will have to find out if buying Girl Scout Cookies from a student violates any ethics policies we have at SCSU. I need Thanks-A-Lot cookies! :)

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete