Saturday, March 28, 2009

Thing 35: Book 2.0 Tools

What are you observing in your library about books and reading?
There is still a demand for books in my library. More than once I have observed students browsing the new fiction shelves, as well as writing papers using actual books (ones that I would have recommended, as well!). Not only that, but the library is home to book discussion groups of all kinds, and they are all well-attended.

Do you think these Book 2.0 tools hamper or enhance one's reading experience?
I can see the "Book 2.0" tools only enhancing one's reading experience. Many of the sites allow us to find new books, talk about books we are reading (or have read), and see what other people are reading. Contrary to popular belief, most readers are very social and would love to talk about their favorite books if they only had a chance.

Which of the sites/tools did you visit? What are they appealing features? Any features seem unnecessary or just there "because"?
I finally caught up with my friends and started a LibraryThing account. I always wanted a LibraryThing account not only to keep an inventory of my personal book collection, but also to find out what other people are reading. I also bookmarked the BookCrossing site and BookBrowse. I am disappointed that there is no BookCrossing site in St. Cloud! I can see myself visiting BookBrowse quite often, as it gives regular updates on upcoming fiction and non-fiction, as well as book reviews and opportunities to post comments about books and discuss them. I didn't see any unnecessary features on these sites, even though I might not have time to try them out right away. Being a heavy reader and a collection management librarian who does some selection for the collection where I work, I can see myself visiting many of these Book 2.0 sites. I might even add weRead to my Facebook account, but not now, or I will be on the computer far too often! I think I will add the GoodRead application to Facebook, though, as I would like to know what my friends are reading...it gives us something to talk about...:)

I humbly confess that I maintain a system of keeping wishlists and a count of what titles I have read in an old fashioned "book journal". It still remains the most convenient way for me to track what I have read in a year.




1 comment:

  1. You misspelled 'LibraryThing' in the link. Also, feel free to 'friend' me on LT under the usual ID.

    ReplyDelete